In August 2020, Missouri voters approved Amendment 2 to expand Medicaid in Missouri. Now, Missouri has started enrolling eligible adults in the program.
Medicaid provides health coverage to millions of Americans, including eligible low-income adults, children, pregnant women, elderly adults and people with disabilities. MHA will provide regular updates, news and resources as they become available.
MHA produced a working document, “Hospital Guidance for Promoting Enrollment and Reimbursement for Missouri Medicaid Expansion Adults,” to address Medicaid expansion enrollment strategies, reimbursement standards and answers to FAQs.
Last updated: Oct. 14, 2021
MO HealthNet FAQs
MO HealthNet released answers to a variety of provider questions about Medicaid expansion.
On Oct. 1, the Missouri Department of Social Services began enrolling newly eligible adults in Medicaid. The implementation was delayed by challenges in legality of the constitutional amendment that requires the state to adopt the option to expand its Medicaid program, and the Supreme Court upheld the legality of the constitutional amendment on July 22. Although enrollment began Oct. 1, eligible participants were provided coverage back to July 1, as provided by the constitution.
Now that Medicaid has expanded in the state, an estimated 275,000 additional Missourians qualify for free or low-cost health insurance through the program. Eligibility requirements and application information is available on the DSS website.
Data & Analytics
- Statewide and Hospital-Specific Community Benefit Data
- The Financial Toll of COVID-19 On Missouri Hospitals
- Missouri Hospital Closure Map
Reports & Fact Sheets
- MHA: Medicaid Expansion in Missouri Fact Sheet
- Regional Economic Models, Inc.: New Impact Report Shows Broad Economic Benefits to Medicaid Expansion in Missouri
- Health Management Associates: Medicaid Expansion in Missouri – Economic Implications for Missouri and Interviews Reflecting Arkansas, Indiana and Ohio Experiences | Executive Summary
Toolkits & Messaging
- MHA: Medicaid Enrollment Social Toolkit
- Missouri Foundation for Health: Medicaid Expansion Communications Resources – Multiple Languages
- Missouri Foundation for Health: Social Media Assets
- Missouri Foundation for Health: Message Guide to Clearly Communicate with Missourians about Medicaid expansion
- Health Literacy Media: Medicaid expansion in Missouri Videos